Professional Career Highlights
Chairman, Department of Statistics, 1977–1980.
Departmental Counselor, 1968–1977, 1980–1994.
Study of principled methods of formal statistical
inference, especially Bayesian, fiducial and likelihood-based methods,
in relation to informal methods of exploratory data analysis. Find problems
that display dissonance between the methods. Examples include Inference
about uncertain constructs like ratios, directions and maxima, and misbehavior
of the modified likelihood ratio test for comparing two means.
Contrast actual and expected performance of asymptotic approximations and develop
guides for assessing adequacy of large-sample methods.
Last update: 6/20/17
- "Multiple comparisons in the analysis of variance," National
Convention Transactions, American Society for Quality Control, (1957),
- "Asymptotic approximations to distributions," Ann. Math.
Statist. 29 (1958), 635–654.
- "Intersection region confidence procedures with an application
to the location of the maximum in quadratic regression," Ann.
Math. Statist. 29 (1958), 455–475.
- "A convolutive class of monotone likelihood ratio families" (with
S. G. Ghurye), Ann. Math. Statist. 30 (1959), 1158–1164.
- "Conditional confidence level properties," Ann. Math.
Statist. 30 (1959), 864–876.
- "Simplified Beta-approximations to the Kruskal–Wallis H-test," J.
Amer. Statist. Assoc. 54 (1959), 225–230.
- "Bounds on normal approximations to Student's and the chi-square
distributions," Ann. Math. Statist. 30 (1959), 1121–1130.
- "Notes on an authorship problem" (with F. Mosteller), Annals
of the Harvard Computation Laboratory 31 (1962), 163–197.
- "Inference in an authorship problem" (with F. Mosteller), J.
Amer. Statist. Assoc. 58 (1963), 275–309.
- Inference and Disputed Authorship: The Federalist (with F.
Mosteller), Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley, 1964.
- "Short analyses for balanced single and double classifications:
Part 2, Derivations and approximations" (with T. E. Kurtz, R. F.
Link, and J. W. Tukey), Biometrika 52 (1966), 191–198.
- "Correlation of ranges of correlated deviates" (with T.
E. Kurtz, R. F. Link, and J. W. Tukey), Biometrika 53 (1966),
- "Clustering," in The International Encyclopedia of the
Social Sciences. New York: Macmillan Company and Free Press (1968),
- "Computers in the teaching of statistics: Where are the main
effects?" in Statistical Computation, R. Milton and J. Nelder,
eds., New York: Academic Press (1969), 349–361.
- "Deciding authorship" (with F. Mosteller), in Statistics:
A Guide to the Unknown, Third Edition, J. Tanur et al., eds., San
Francisco: Holden Day, (1989), 115–125.
- "Clustering" in The International Encyclopedia of Statistics.
New York: Macmillan Co. and Free Press (1978).
- "Efficacy of diagnostic X-ray procedures" (with L. B. Lusted
et al). Special Monograph, American College of Radiology, (1980).
- "The Behrens-Fisher and Fieller-Creasy problems."
In R. A. Fisher: An Appreciation, S. E. Fienberg and D. V. Hinkley,
Editors, Lecture Notes in Statistics No. 1, Springer–Verlag,
New York (1980), pp. 119–147.
- "Prevention of venous thrombo-embolism after total knee replacement
by high dose of aspirin or intermittent calf–thigh compression"
(with R. McKenna et al). British Medical J., 23 February
- "Comment," J. Amer. Statist. Assoc. 78 (1983),
569–76, (on the preceding paper, "A method for comparing two
hierarchical clusterings" by E. B. Fowlkes and C. L. Mallows).
- (with Frederick Mosteller) Applied Bayesian and Classical Inference:
The Case of the Federalist Papers. 2nd Edition of Inference and
Disputed Authorship: The Federalist. Springer-Verlag, New York,
- "Prophylactic red–cell transfusions in pregnant patients
with sickle-cell disease," (with M. Koshy et al). New England
J. Med., 319 (1988), 1447–1452.